Sunday, July 15, 2018

Inadequate: Updated

I feel inadequate. But, first, let me pause to clarify. I'm not struggling from low self-esteem (been there, done that elementary thru HS... I'm over it). The greys on my head give me permission to not be caught up so much (although I'm not completely cured) in the opinions of others... I'm feeling pretty comfortable in my own skin these days--in terms of character. Neither am I suicidal. And, trust me, as a therapist, who has walked/talked plenty off the ledge and have had those both with unsuccessful and successful attempts, I most definitely do not mean to make light of suicidality. But, now that we've gotten that part out of the way, I feel inadequate... Unfinished Post (To Be Completed Today... stay tuned)

Update:

Ok, so here it is in the wee A.M. hour and I sit across the room from my toddler, fast asleep. She's bathed and resting well. I know because I am constantly watching the dance of her chest rising. You'd think that would be enough to satisfy me. But, my thoughts that I need to finish this entry are interrupted by thoughts that I should be lying beside her. She is quite clingy lately, as she should be. She needs her momma! Don't all little ones? Ahhh, but my toddler's circumstances are just a little different than most (like how I leave you with a cliff hanger?). As much as I try to be, and as much daily practice as I get, I haven't mastered the art of juggling...juggling my own personal post-grief resiliency, career/work, wifehood (if Beyonce' can invent "bootilicious," I don't see why I can't invent a word too--so, as I was saying--wifehood--next to be in Websters' Dictionary), and motherhood. My sense of inadequacy haunts me daily, as I'm delivering my daughter's daily meds. Inadequacy says I should, instead, be spending the time interacting with her. Afterall, she has already told me that I am always doing something (Ugh! Tear up my heart in a billion pieces and scatter them in the wind).  I know, I know...what's the big deal right? All parents have to make a sacrifice to take care of their kids, right? But, in my world/my life, where I have experienced grief left and right (and, I only shared with you the losses related to a similar disease. But, sprinkle in loss by other methods, and you'd ask me why am I not in a mental hospital. I know b/c I wonder the same), the frailty (?) of life is the real deal...not something on one of those Carpe Diem or YOLO commercials.You see, I've seen a parent completely strong and self-sufficient until, maybe a month before the loss. So, I realize that the expectation of tomorrow is an illusion. Now, don't get me wrong, I look forward to an eternal glory. But, honestly, I'm not out looking for it! But, I digress. What is my point here (No, really, what is it...focus, Camille)? You know, I see other moms (I know--comparison and all its evils...but, do you want me to be honest here?) and wonder how they manage to hold it all together. Well, I'll tell you what you won't find here:

Deficits:
  • A house that is spotless, or even tidy on some days (did I mention I have a 3 year-old?)
  • A child that is bathed every single day--some days we compensate with wipe downs/sponge baths...if she doesn't fall asleep first (am I alone? I'm sure no other mom does this.)
  • A well-rested, refreshed mother...my days are filled with working 8 hrs--often followed by at least 2 additional hrs (which I am very much grateful for), trying to fit in time in-between to run errands/pay bills, cook find a drive thru/take-out meal, cleaning (whatever I can manage to clean--be it laundry, the house, or a behind...sorry, but honesty), stealing 15 minutes of alone/me time (more of an aspiration than a reality), etc. But, I DO know how good I have it, so I try to maintain an attitude of gratitude as best I can.
  • A lack of guilt--guilt for not checking on friends and family that run through my mind.
  • A completed checklist--I used to have checklists and alarms on my phone (actually still have the phone alarms) to remind me to check other lists or reminders. But, then, I decided to stop this madness...let you know how that turns out. Lol.
So, I think that's a good list to begin with. What about you out there? Can you help a sista out and share, so I don't feel so alone in the struggle? Thank you all for checking out my blog. If you're new, be sure to check out the other posts. Also, I have more planned in the near future (God-willing), so you may want to keep checking to see where I'm going with all this. The love you are giving to me by supporting me, I give back to you in gratitude...a big, fat thanks!!

Oh yeah...what would make this blog better, or what would make you interested in following (i.e., more pictures, a certain type of content, etc.)? 

7 comments:

  1. I think it is common for humans to feel inadequate. There's always thoughts that we could be doing more, be doing better. I've found that just tackling one thing to be great at is so helpful. So I told myself that I'd be great at prepping our meals, planning out what we'd eat for the week ... even if it's just one thing, I'll make sure I'm great at it .. and then the others I can just be ok, good at it. It helps when you know that there's one thing that you're doing to the best of your ability.

    Hang in there. You are doing just fine. When you go to bed and the world did not blow up, you did just fine. And although technically tomorrow is not promised, there is still always tomorrow.

    Write/share what you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good advice! Sounds like I need to give myself a break... give myself permission to below standard on some things, as long as I rock at something. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I think we all have aour periods of inadequacy. I have a 14 yr old and being a full time mommy, working a full time job and trying to maintain house (a home) for my family is hard. I am not a single parent I have a husband but since my stroke its hard to maintain the same pace as I tire much more easily, to his credit (my hubby, my boo)he never complains bc I do;t feel like cooking or cleaning. He still makes me feel like a queen. I think it is a blessing (because we all know God puts no more on us than we can bear) even in the face of what we perceive as our shortcomings we still take the time to smile and enjoy our blessings. Like you I get very little "me time" but that 5 or 10 mins I do get I try to exhale and thank God for it. LIKE FAITH SAID HANG IN THERE YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB.take it on thing at a time and make the one thing great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for such a late response. It just occurred to me to check older posts for comments.

      Delete
  3. we all have our periods (typo correction)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for responding and the encouragement! I am also proud of you!

      Delete